Friday, June 11, 2010

The Duggar Family

I’ll admit it: I’m hooked on watching the Duggar family on TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting (Formerly 18 Kids and Counting, formerly 17 Kids and Counting, formerly 16 Kids and Counting). I don’t know what it is about that family that fascinates me so, but I look forward to every episode as if it was a soap opera.

The oldest child, Josh, is 22 years old, married, has a kid of his own and lives nearby the family homestead in northwest Arkansas. The rest of the kids, from age 20 on down, all live at home.

The four oldest girls, ages 20, 19, 17, and 16, seem to be responsible for most of the cooking, cleaning, and endless baby sitting. From the commentaries I’ve read about the Duggars, a lot of folks think it’s horribly unfair for the older girls to have to shoulder so much of the parents' duties.

I agree with that for the most part. I would hate to think that any of the over-18 girls in this family felt it was their duty to remain at home and raise these kids rather than go off to college or get a job.
I’m not them, so I don’t know.

On the other hand, they are over 18, live at home and aren’t employed. I say, if you’re over 18 and aren't in college, you work for your food and shelter. No free rides. (The older boy is 20 and has his own towing business.)

I could say a lot more about the Duggars here and have a ball with it, but I won’t. They are kids after all and I wish them the best.

Currently, the entire family is renting a house in Little Rock because the 19th child was born 3 months prematurely and they want to remain near the medical facilities.

A friend of mine in Arkansas was in Little Rock the other day and took this photo of the Duggar’s rental house --  just for me.


Wow. Isn’t that cool? It looks just like it does on TV!

I wish I could have been there. It would be like visiting a really historical site -- like the Book Depository and the Grassy Knoll in Dallas.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:28 PM , Blogger grannynanny said...

Well, to me it is like a train wreck, you just have to stop and watch. And I do every week. I don't know why I'm not from a large family, I never wanted more than two kids. But I watch. I can see a lot of wonderful things that this family stands for. For me, my I biggest question is about their idea of modesty. I understand their reasoning behind covering themselves and trying to protect their younger ones from what they view as improper dress and behavior. But is the meaning of modesty not to do anything to draw attention to ones self, not to stand out, or to be prideful? If that is the case why have nineteen kids and go on TV so every one and their brother knows. If you are that modest why would you go on TV and talk about sex? Is bragging modest? It seems to me that a family that size needs a lot of money to make it in this world. Even with always buying used and not going into debt, it seems to me that they must be making pretty good money from their TV appearances. That seems like a lot of bragging money to me.

 
At 10:17 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Grannynanny: (BTW - I love your name and wish I could contact you directly) I agree with all of your observations. I'm sure that the Duggars have their faults, including the "fame vs modesty" issues you mentioned. Yes, they are probably justifying it by saying they are 'bringing the Gospel' to a wider audience as so many fundamentalist Christians are wont to do.
But then again, compared to so many dysfunctional families that are out there, the Duggars can be a breath of fresh air. Mom, Dad, and their kids genuinely seem to be altruistic -- a rarity in this day and age.
Thanks a bunch for your comment!

 
At 10:50 PM , Blogger Barb said...

I really haven't watched much. I'm really put off by the idea of that many kids. My biggest question is how they support that large of a family and that rental home is spectacular.

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

The only reality show I could ever get into was Big Brother. Every other reality show, in my mind, is inferior to Big Brother. *grin* I wish that you would start watching that show this summer, so that I would have someone to talk to about it. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home