Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Peck of Peter Peppers

Now that I’m producing Uncle Buck’s Raging Relish, a friend of mine sent me a lead on a new kind of pepper that is very interesting.

Peter Peppers are a variety of pepper that are raised in Georgia and are medium-hot on the heat scale. They normally grow to be 4-5 inches long, sometimes longer.

Here’s a photo of them.
Here's a single one.

And some on a bush.And they also come in yellow.

Here's a little gnarly one:

I’m really perplexed as to why they’re called “Peter Peppers”. Maybe the tongue-twister had something to do with it.

However, I think they would make an excellent product for me to sell along with the Raging Relish - - something like Piper’s Pickled Peter Peppers would surely be a hit. It could be my second product in the line of my pepper products. (I’m currently working on "Chipotle Chutney" - - - doesn’t that sound yummy?)

I was wondering how to get my hands on them and after quite a bit of searching, I found an on-line supplier of Peter Pepper seeds.

So, if you would like to grow some for your own personal use, you can order them here. They're only $2.65 a packet.

And if you have any ideas as to why in the world they’re called Peter Peppers, I’d surely like to know.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 4:21 PM , Blogger Barb said...

Okay ~ do we really need to say it ~ it's cause they look like a PENIS ~ which some call a peter or a pecker so a very appropriate name indeed! How about Peter's pecker peppers.

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

These are from Georgia? How have I missed seeing them. Perhaps they are considered to risque for Krogers.

Your pickled relish line sounds delish. I'm very fond of chipotle peppers

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger f8hasit said...

They DO look like little weewee's! How fun!
Like look HOT, are they? Do they grow when you rub them?
:-)

 
At 8:02 PM , Blogger MaryRuth said...

Wow! those really DO look like "peters".

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, duh! They look like pee-pees! *grin*

P.S. Are you really producing the relish now????

 
At 10:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad everybody else said it so I wouldn't be the one to have to do it.

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger Sling said...

They are called Peter Peppers because the name 'Holy crap!..Those look just like penises' was already copywrited.

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger Kendall said...

I love the names of your products. Very clever!

As for those things coming from Georgia, I grew up there and never saw one of those anywhere. But I am not a pepper expert, so I may not be the best source to follow.

 
At 9:51 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

peepee's weinies, penis...nah...them baby's look like dicks sweety..
takes a texas gal to say that.
carla fochs iwanski sent me..seems you like blue bell ice cream too?

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Speck said...

Somehow I just don't think I could bring myself to bite the end off that thing....

 
At 2:47 PM , Anonymous ConnieJOS said...

Looks to me like Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peckers!

 
At 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From wikipedia:

The Peter Red chili[1] (also known as the Peter Pepper) is a hot pepper (Capsicum annuum) that turns from green to red; is approximately 3 to 4 inches long, and 1 to 1.5 inches wide when fully mature.


Peter Red chilisAs the name suggests, the unusually shaped fruits do resemble human Genitalia when fully ripe. In addition to the conversation value of this pepper; it has a variety of uses including salsas and ground pepper. It is a prolific producer.

Seeds are rare, and most plants are grown from private companies just for this reason

 
At 3:37 AM , Blogger Gina said...

Awwwww, c' mon guy, nobody believes that you are actually "perplexed" as to how these hot little dicks got their name. Surely you wee just playing coy to get all the ladies to comment- And it worked! <3 Keep It Real, honey! <3

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger BT said...

Please don't tell my wife they are only 3-4 inchs long. She'll think those are at least 8 inches long.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home