Friday, February 27, 2009

The Lottery

The Illinois Lottery has a jackpot of $171 million and the drawing is tonight.

Several of us at work have gone in on a pool for it.

That got me to thinking, “What would I do with my life if I won and never had to work again?”


First, I would move into a 2 bedroom apartment on the 60th floor of Marina Towers where I currently live. Right now, I have a studio apartment on the 49th floor. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in the whole wide world. Really.

Isn’t that a nice realization to have? – That I already live exactly where I would if I could live anywhere in the whole wide world?

I had been thinking about moving to a larger place outside of downtown, but now I know I really don’t want to.

I’d also buy a nice apartment for Lorraine and her family on the 59th floor connected by a spiral staircase because I have a “thing” for spiral staircases. And for Lorraine and her family.

I’m currently enjoying dates a whole lot but they’re awfully expensive. (The fruit, not the activity). If I became a millionaire, I’d buy all the dates I wanted.

I would give my employer two week’s notice. I wouldn’t quit on the spot even though I’d be tempted. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in my life, it’s that you never, ever burn bridges.
Ever.
You’ll always be surprised at the occasions when a bridge is required.

Even though I don’t particularly enjoy housecleaning, I don’t think I’d hire a maid. I enjoy my privacy too much and, besides, she might eat some of my dates.

I’d still use public transit because I really, really enjoy riding trains and subways.
A lot.
I wouldn’t want to give that up.

I’d travel to Iceland, Russia, India, and the high Arctic.

I would not travel to Hawaii or California or any resort that has “Buena” in its name.

As far as charities, I hate it when I’m watching something really good on PBS and it’s constantly interrupted by donation requests. So, I’d donate enough money to my local PBS station so that they would never have to conduct a pledge drive again.

Other than that, I think I’d be a pretty happy millionaire.

I’ll keep you posted on tonight’s lottery.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM , Blogger Barb said...

I think my number 1 wish when (not if) I win lotto is definitely to travel. I'm thinking Ireland/Scotland ~ maybe a cruise that includes Greece plus there is a whole lot of this country I'd still like to see. First stop being Chicago, of course!

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger Elaine Wheat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:21 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Yay! I love our new apartment in Chicago with the spiral staircase that attaches our two apartments so I can come eat dates with you!

 
At 7:43 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

A two-bedroom apartment, travel, and lots of dates (the fruit) is NOT too much to ask for! You have simple tastes--I love that. *smiles*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home