Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Farmer's Market

On Tuesdays, there is a farmer’s market in the plaza of the building where I work. The prices on some of the fruits and veggies can be a little more than in the supermarket. But goodness gracious, there is a huge difference in taste from a supermarket tomato compared to a real one that just came off the plant.

I took my camera there on my lunch break. Look at these peppers and eggplants! Isn’t that gorgeous?


I bought some patty-pan squash. You can’t find those in the store. Only in grandma’s garden.
Check this out. Sixteen varieties of home-made tomatoes.
The first of the Honey Crisp apples were also available. If you haven’t had a Honey Crisp apple fresh off the Honey Crisp apple tree, you’ve no idea what you’re missing. I’ll be buying them for the next six weeks.


Have you ever heard of Nigerian eggplant? I haven’t either. When I saw those, I just had to take a few home to my kitchen.
I also bought some fresh corn and shell black-eyed peas. Add a few fresh tomatoes, spring onions, some corn bread, a glass of buttermilk, and you’ve got a Southern supper that'll just make you fall on the floor and holler.

4 Comments:

At 12:06 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I love a good farmer's market-- i live by the farms and the only thing we can get out here is corn --- but our friends all have gardens so I guess I cant complain-- but I just did

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger Speck said...

The eggplant and peppers...
W.O.W!!!

 
At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Farmer's Market has quadruple the selection that our's does! WOW is right.

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, remind me to give you some money to buy me some of those honey crisp apples next time...yummy!! *smiles*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home