Sunday, March 23, 2008

Can you believe this?

I went to church today.

(No, that's not the unbelievable part. I occasionally grace the doors of the Christian Science church nearby). There was this middle aged couple in front of me along with, I assume, was one of their parents.

Here's the unbelievable part. The woman had a big 'ol Starbuck's coffee with her!

Can you believe that???

While we listened to the readings of "Science and Health", this lout was sucking down a Venti sized coffee beverage.

Did she see cup holders in the seats? Is this a Christian Science practice I didn't know about?

The thing is, it didn't look totally out of place there. As you can see from the photo, the church really looks like more of an amphitheatre type of large classroom than it does a church sanctuary.

Also, Christian Science services do resemble a college lecture, more so than a religious service. (After a couple of hymns are sung, the main part of the service consists of readings from the bible that are correlated from Science and Health)

Still, I wanted to slap that big cup out of her hand. If there had been a part in the service where you turn and say, "Peace be with you," I SO would have commented on it.

But Christian Scientists don't greet each other.

That's probably why I go there.

3 Comments:

At 9:40 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

they dont greet eachother? hmmm I didnt know that. I guess that's why i am a presbyterian-- all we do is talk and eat.

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh man, you shoulda been at the Easter Vigil with me...

 
At 5:28 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Mouse: The Presbyterian's are lucky to have you in their midst.

Lorraine: An Easter Vigil at your church? I would have been a puddle of goo.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home