Friday, April 06, 2007

It's "Tuesday-Friday"

What's "Tuesday-Friday" you say?

Okay. I'll tell you.

About twenty years ago, I was an organist at a non-denominational church in Austin, Texas. On the Thursday before Easter Sunday, I had to play for "Maundy Thursday" services which they observed.

I had a very close friend of mine who is an athiest. No, I take that back. She's not an athiest because when it came to the question of whether God existed or not, she would say, "I just really don't care one way or the other." (I thought that was pretty healthy, actually). So I proclaimed her to be an apathiest.

Anyway, I told her that I had to play for Maundy Thursday.

"Monday Thursday?'

"No, it's Maundy. Not Monday."

"What's 'Maundy' mean?"

"I don't know."

"So, is tomorrow Tuesday-Friday?"

Sigh. "Yes, it is."

So, every year on Good Friday, I call to wish her a happy "Tuesday-Friday." I just left her a voice mail.

1 Comments:

At 2:51 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Just learned last night that Maundy comes from the Latin for mandate...as in "I give you a new commandment, love one another as I have loved you". Cool.

That said, that is a very funny little story.

Happy Tuesday Friday!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home