Sunday, October 15, 2006

I Heart Ludmilla

Way back in 1972, I got hooked on womens' gymnastics. That was the year of Olga Korbut if you recall. I was in eighth grade and the Russian gymnasts just amazed me.

Yes, Olga Korbut was cute and sensational, but I think Ludmilla Tourischeva really didn't get the credit she was due. Tourischeva was known for her perfection, being steadfast, being incredibly focused. She was the one who came though for the team in '68, '72, and '76.

Anyway, I remember this one performance of hers in the '75 World Cup. She was competing on the uneven bars and just as she was completing the routine, the entire apparatus came apart and crumbled just as she nailed the dismount and walked away. She didn't even look back! There was all this noise as the uneven bars came crashing down behind her, but she didn't even acknowledge it. The commentator noted that, "She really didn't look back at the bars, because as far as she was concerned, that really wasn't relevant to the perfomance she'd just completed."

Wowwww! I really, really admire that.

I admire that because I wish I could be like that. I'm definitely not the most focused person in the world. Ask anyone who's been a passenger while I was driving (especially my dad). Yes, I'm a good driver, really. It's just that I can't converse with anyone or have the radio playing while doing so. I admire Ludmilla.

Every time I ignore disgusting people on the subway, I've thought of Ludmilla and her performance on those uneven bars. Disgusting people are just not relevant to me being a passenger on the subway. Period. Thank you, Ludmilla.

I need to be more like that at my job and at school. A little more Ludmilla-ness in my habits would serve me well.

I've thought about that performance of hers so many times and had wished I could find a video of it. I googled and U-tubed to no avail.

However, Google just introduced google videos. Cool. Within a few seconds, I found it!

So my friends, click here to watch that inspirational performace of dear Ludmilla. click click

Isn't that just the greatest thing ever?

She should be president.

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That's some serious focus there. Wow.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home