Saturday, April 14, 2012

Unions

This past weekend, Miss Healthypants, (Carla) her husband, and I had the last of our "balcony nights" together on the 50th-floor balcony at my place.  I'll be moving into my new condo up on Lake Shore Drive on May 2nd. I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about it. 
However, moving away from my 50th apartment at Marina Towers is pretty significant. I've lived up here in these goofy, retro, iconic buildings for eight years now. Living here has definitely made me a true Chicagoan. (My apartment and balcony is ten floors from the top; way up there).
Miss Healthypants, her husband, and I have lived one block from each other for the past eight years. I'll miss living downtown, but more than that, I'll miss living just across the river from these wonderful friends.
Here is a recent sunset view from my balcony. 
You gotta admit, it can get awfully pretty up here:
 I'll always have the memories of living only a block away from each other; I've had the pleasure of living in downtown Chicago on the 50th floor one block away from them on the 21st floor of their building for eight years. (Good Lord, my new place on Lake Shore is just 19 minutes on the 145 or 146 express bus from their door to mine!) There are very few boys  from small-town Texas who have had the pleasure of living like this.
Last year, Civil Unions between same-sex couples were legalized in Illinois. I noticed it when filling out my state tax forms last week. (As a Single person, I paid almost double the taxes compared to married or unioned couples, thank you) Yes, I was happy to check the "single" box but proud to live in a state where I could have checked the other.
If anyone ever wonders what a true Union is, I only have to look toward my dear friends, John and Miss Healthypants, who've been pretty much married longer than anyone I've ever known (15 years). 
I've never known a couple who enjoys each other as much as they do. I've never known any couple as happy as they are (even when they exclude me on their weekly excursions to the zoo, by themselves) and I'll do anything to support such a union.
If anyone would ever help me check that new "Union" box as I move on with my current life as a home-owner, it would be my dear friends, John and Carla.  
I would only need to look to them to see "THIS is how a loving union is DONE.
 

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Love you, Dooder. :)

 
At 1:50 PM , Blogger Mom said...

Good friends are one of life's greatest blessings.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home