Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What ARE These Things Called?

The movie-making people aren't done yet with making their explosion-filled movie, Transmutors 3, (or something like that) here in downtown Chicago. They've simply moved all the fake disaster scenes from Wacker Drive to the underside of the EL on Wabash Avenue.

So, once again, there are lots and lots of electrical cables strewn everywhere around the site. In order to keep pedestrians from tripping over them and to keep cars from getting entangled in them, they've employed the use of these rubber and metal devices that the cables go through.

Here's a photo of one in front of a doorway:
See? The yellow part flips up, they lay the cables in grooves underneath it and put the yellow part back down, thus keeping the cables safe and tidy.

Here's a double set of them. (You can hook a bunch of them together)

Now, as a little kid, I would have been incredibly fascinated with these devices. I often became obsessed with obscure things like these. I'd want to know how they were made, the various configurations they came in, their dimensions, where they were made, and the like.

I would have wanted to steal one and keep it hidden in my closet.

But now I'm all grown up and have put these childish notions away.

Oh my gosh, look at this long, double one!

Now, here's the big question: What do you call these things? I have no idea and I really want to know.

The movie-making people employ lots of folks to sit around and make sure none of the movie-making equipment is messed with or stolen. That's all these people do -- just sit there all day drinking bottled water.

So, this morning I asked one of them, "What do you call these things?"

"What things?" he said.

"Those yellow and black things that the cables go through. What are they called?"

He just shrugged. I'm sure he thought I was really strange, wanting to know what they were called and taking photos of them.

If anyone knows, please tell me.


At 2:36 PM , Blogger Breenlantern said...

I believe they're simply called "cord covers"

At 3:38 PM , Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I know it's not a thingy cause that's the thing that you have to giggle to make the toilet quit running..

At 5:05 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Sean: Thank You! (I kind of wish they'd had a more interesting name)

I think these are the "Heavy Duty Cord Cover" variety.

At 8:03 PM , Blogger sfoofie said...

they are called "whatchamajobbers" uh-huh. scientific classification. belonging to the genus coverificationizers

At 10:37 PM , Blogger Eric said...

I forget Buck. I think they are called cable crosses or some such. Pretty high falootin if you ask me. But the Cable is Banded and 2/0 (the fatter stuff) Do not touch. That shit will really fuck you up


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home