Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Eating Healthy

I tried another “raw food” recipe the other night. This time, it was a compelling recipe for “energy soup” that a raw food blogger eats every day. It sounded awfully healthy so I had to try it.

Basically, you put some water in a blender, add fresh greens (I used spinach), an avocado, a cucumber, a bit of apple to sweeten it, and a little lime juice. Then, you hit that ‘puree’ button.

The result?

Liquid lawn in a bowl.

I wish I could get ‘in’ to the raw food recipes for they appear to be awfully healthy. I mean, we should be eating more raw spinach, cucumbers and avocados every day.

But I think when our Cro-Magnon ancestors accidentally charred a bit of food in a fire, they were on to a good thing.

Julia Child added butter and there was no looking back.

The thing is, I had bought four avocados thinking I’d be getting very healthy by eating energy soup all week. The avocados came four-to-a-pack at Trader Joe’s and they all became ripe at the same time.

What to do?

Well, when life hands you avocados. . . .
. . . . you make guacamole.

You also buy corn chips at the little grocery store in the lobby where I live.

And then you lay in front of the TV and have a big, honkin’ bowl of guacamole and chips all to yourself.

If I come up with a recipe for "energy soup" that’s actually appealing, you’ll be the first to know.

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM , Blogger Leah said...

Bummer about the soup!!
I'm making it tomorrow (minus the cuke-I always forget them at the market)-crossing my fingers that it tastes like minestrone. Mind over matter, right?

I made a raw tomato soup last week, it was not too great-it was way too "fleshy".....

and Yum! I am soo in love with guacamole-good choice!

 
At 8:30 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Mmmmm...I loves me some guacamole!! :)

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

raw soup
3 cups tomatoes, red ripe, seeded and diced
2 cups red bell pepper, diced medium
2 cups red onions, diced medium
1/2 cup celery, diced medium
2 cups cucumber, diced medium
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups organic vegetable juice
pinch cayenne
1 teaspoon cumin

sure add spinich if you want!

Method
Mix diced tomato, peppers, red onions, celery and cucumber together in a medium bowl. Divide the mixture in half and separate in two bowls.

Add garlic to one of the bowls and empty into blender. Add vinegar to the blender and puree until smooth.

Add the vegetable juice, cayenne and cumin to the blender. Blend.

Add the puree to the bowl of diced vegetables.

Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with lemon and cilantro.

 
At 5:35 AM , Blogger Speck said...

600 calories of green goopy goodness. That's before you add any chips. Hummm....where would that fall on the "healthy" scale?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home