Friday, May 02, 2008

This is Scary

Two things are missing in my life right now and I’m very uncomfortable about it.

1. My ATM card has expired

2. My home phone isn’t working

Regarding the first, I remember receiving a voice mail from my bank saying that my new ATM card had been returned in the mail and for me to call them back.

I never got around to it.

Then, yesterday, while trying to pay for my lunch at the Overpriced Food Court at work, the cashier pointed out that the card had expired.

Rats.

I actually had to go INSIDE A BANK and talk to a Real Person. I also had to go to a teller to withdraw cash from my account. It felt so weird.

It seems just like yesterday that I was working at a bank (it was in 1984) and one, old gruff customer said he would “never use one of those newfangled ‘tit-less tellers’.”

Yeah, that’s really charming.

Now, it felt really strange going to a teller (I don't recall any tits, naturally) and obtain money from her.

I want my ATM card back so I can procure cash from a machine like God intended! (Bangs fists on high-chair)

It should be here in a week-to-ten-days.

My home phone has conked out. I use the internet-based phone service, Vonage, and I really like it. I can go online and listen to voice mails, see who’s called me three months ago, all that stuff. And it really is only $24.95 a month.

Their commercial talks about how reliable Vonage is.
That’s true.
Sort of.

Yes, Vonage is reliable, IF your broadband internet service is working, IF your modem is working, IF your cable router is working, and IF there’s not a thunderstorm, or IF your moon isn’t in your seventh house.

It turns out that my router has conked out. In the meantime, I got fed up with the iffy service which I really rely upon. I don’t get cell phone reception in my apartment due to the concrete structure or because it’s 500 feet up. So, when I get home, I always forward my cell phone to my home phone.

Which isn’t working.

I called AT&T and will have good, old-fashioned phone service hooked up within a week-to-ten-days.

In the meantime, I have no ATM card or home phone service.

I’m frightened.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:16 PM , Blogger Speck said...

Bummer on the no phone thingy. We maintain an old dinosaur hardwired-to-the-wall phone. Reliable as an anvil. Always works. If it doesn't, ATT fixes it.

The interweb phone service thing is too iffy for me. First of all, my ISP ain't the greatest, then I would never know if any problem was on my end or theirs.

I can live a pretty simple life, but no reliable phone service is never an option. Momma don't play that game.

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

We haven't had any major issues with Vonage. I love the unlimited long distance part of it. But then, if there ever is a glitch, we have our cell phones, which work becuase we don't live 50 floors up in a concrete building.

Also, I got a bemused "your card has expired" yesterday from a shop clerk. But in my case I did have my new card, I just hadn't been paying attention so I hadn't switched out the old one yet. I know how scary it can be to be without your ATM card. Here, let mommy give you a hug.

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, how will you survive????

Pop a valium, you'll be okay. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home