Thursday, April 24, 2008

Gas Prices

So, gasoline is over four bucks a gallon here and folks are complaining.

I feel bad for those that have to make a living under these new prices: Cab drivers, pizza places, truck drivers and the like, for these price hikes seemed to have shot up faster than their compensation. But for those suburban soccer-moms who absolutely had to have a huge SUV complete with a seat-warmer, not so much.

I know. I shouldn’t be critical because I’m lucky enough to live in a place where I don’t have to own a car. On the other hand, I chose long ago to live in a place where I don’t have to own a car. I’d much rather spend the money it takes to own a car on other things. Like having pizza delivered.

I’m also lazy and selfish.

I don’t want a family because they would encroach upon my ability to do what I want, when I want to do it. Not to mention, my ability to date who I want.

I don’t want a house in the suburbs because they have lawns.

I hate lawns.

I hate anything to do with lawn care. You have to mow them, water them, keep bugs out of them, decorate them, and for what? If I had a lawn, I would never actually go outside to look at it. “Outside” is where it’s either too hot or too cold. Why would I want to go there?

I love where I live now. I love the fact that all grounds-keeping is done by paid professionals and occurs fifty stories below my dwelling.

I also don’t want a car because they require maintenance. To me, a car was really just a giant purse on wheels. I was really bad at keeping them maintained. Having the oil changed every thirty thousand miles was such a pain in the butt. I’d usually just trade them in before that.

Oh. And I checked the gas prices in Toronto today. It was $1.21 per liter. That comes out to $4.60 a gallon. At those prices, Soccer-Mom will have to shell out $138 bucks to fill up her giant SUV.

That’s a lot of money to keep her pampered butt warm.

4 Comments:

At 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why du you assume SUV's are driven by "soccer Mom's"? :-)

With no lawn to walk on, you miss the joy of walking barefoot on the grass. :-)

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Sea54change--I think Buck would rather do anything than walk barefoot in the grass!

Buck--you know I'm with you on this, all the way! I hate cars!

 
At 10:18 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Sadly, I love cars in a 59-Chevy-with-a-396 Springsteeny sort of way. But this volleyball mom drives a compact with no seat warmers and plans all her routes for maximum efficiency. But the truth is, I didn't drive until I left downtown and when we move back there, the car will go.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

seachange: Miss Healthypants is right. She knows me well. I don't "do" barefoot in the grass. (I don't even "do" barefoot on carpeting).
Hello, I'm a snob.

Lorraine: I never thought of you as a 59 Chevy kinda gal! But I can see it. . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home