Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Cowboy Cheesecake

My aunt, uncle and cousins who live on the family ranch are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. They are honest-to-goodness Texans and proud of it.

They participate wholeheartedly in trail rides, rodeos, and often cook and cater for these events. While I was in Seattle, I made my uncle's award-winning fajitas for Lorraine and her family which are mighty tasty.
While on this recent visit to my relatives on the ranch, they promised me another award-winning culinary delight and, boy, did they dilever. The following item has won first place in a Dutch-oven open-campfire cookoff several times. Cowboy Cheesecake:

First you line a huge, cast iron Dutch oven with crescent roll dough.
Then, fill it with cheesecake batter.
Top it with more crescent roll dough, and place hot coals around it. One hour later, you've got Cowboy Cheesecake.

Here are the place settings at Aunt Dixie's dinner table. The cowboy hat napkin rings were a nice touch.

3 Comments:

At 2:03 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Sounds weirder than boogabooga but if it's coming from the same folks wot made those fajitas, I'm in.

 
At 2:48 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

ahhh the duch oven!!

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

'Raine: The cowboy cheesecake is a good idea if you're out on the range. Frankly, I'm more of an indoor type of guy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home