Friday, November 18, 2011

The Pain of Au Bon Pain

I’ve come to dread going into Au Bon Pain for my bagel each morning. Apparently, some clueless upper-level manager has instructed the managers and staff to be super-friendly and give every customer a hearty “hello!” and “good morning!” upon entering. 

Every time I swing in there, I'm suddenly pelted with an onslaught of enthusiastic greetings. It's a bit much. 


I’m a friendly guy, but there’s a limit. I just want my bagel.

Having been in the restaurant business, I can tell you that this directive came from higher-up. Some upper-level manager behind a desk thought it would be a good idea to set Au Bon Pain apart by having their staff double as breakfast-cheerleaders.

I love their asiago cheese bagels, but I’m about to give up on braving the good-morning-gauntlet every time I want one.


Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:20 AM , Blogger Bob said...

They have these restaurants around here called Moe's....and I stopped going into them because, when you walk in the door, every single employee shouts "WELCOME TO MOE'S!!!!"

 
At 9:34 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Good Lord, Bob - - where can we write to express our disdain with such activities?

 
At 10:19 PM , Blogger downer74 said...

hey Buck,you're blog is hilarious ! I followed you, think you could follow me ! my blog is about the NBA

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Rooster said...

Ha! Brilliant....This is why, on the rare occasion, I wander into a Starbuck's, I always order a large coffee. When the goofball responds "venti coffee?" I say "No thank you, I'll just have a large coffee."
Don't get me wrong, I love Italy, just please ask your manager to stop trying to teach me Italian, please.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home