Thursday, June 21, 2012

Baha'i

Here in the Chicago area, there’s a large Baha’i temple in the northern suburb of Wilmette. There’s even an exit on I-94 that says “Baha’i Temple”, so I’ve been curious to see it.

Yesterday after work, I took a little excursion out to the suburb of Wilmette to see this place. I have fond memories of the Baha’i faith, actually. During my first semester in college, the local Baha’i community had a recruitment gathering on campus that I attended. It was my first  encounter with a non-Christian faith and that was pretty exciting to me at the time. Also, the people seemed really nice. 

Baha’i for Dummies: They believe that God continually manifests Himself through successive messengers and religions. Abraham, Krishna, Buddha, Christ, and Mohammed were all messengers. The most recent one was Baha’u’llah in the mid-1800s who founded the Baha’i faith in Iran. All religions are manifestations of God; unity of humanity. It’s actually quite appealing. 

Also, they seem to like apostrophes a lot. 

I took the EL north to the end of the line. Five blocks away, the temple emerged. 

Oh my gosh, it’s huge! I can see why it has its own freeway exit. 


All Baha’i temples are nine-sided. 9 is the highest “single” number so it signifies the unity of religion and humanity; or something like that. 

It’s surrounded by really pretty grounds with lots of fountains. The place is practically a bird sanctuary. I even saw a very large deer ambling about.


And here’s a Baha’i bunny. 


I took the tour in the visitor’s center, learned a lot about them, and then sat in the temple for quite a while. I watched the sun slowly inching its way up one of the nine sides as it set.

Photo from Wikipedia (Photography is not allowed inside)

Thoughts of how I was on this tiny, revolving planet in a solar system, in a galaxy in the cosmos, and probably in an infinite number of universes came to mind.  It’s quite a tranquil place. 

I didn’t want to leave. 

Knowing myself, I’ll probably end up converting . . .

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It isn't really converting. It is realizing the fulfillment of the highest aspirations of all religious prophesies. I'm an Egyptian-Canadian-American Baha'i who considers himself a world citizen because I embraced the divine message of Baha'u'llah.

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Thank you for your comment and insight. I really appreciate it.

 
At 5:04 AM , Blogger Clara's Mom said...

Hi Buck - just want to say I like your spirit! "If we are not happy and joyful in this day, for what day are we waiting?" Love from the other side of the planet (Fiji), Kim

 
At 9:44 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Kim - Thank you so much for your kind words! Love to you, back from this side of our planet. :)

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger Dana said...

Hi Buck,
Your sweet article lifts my heart. Thank you for putting it all in such personal and engaging terms. Feel free to join in and share the laughter!
Blessings,
Dana (a guy in Rochester NY)

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger paddypicasso@gmail.com said...

if your buck, then i am Uncle Buck. i came across your blog and the concept of religion that we are all connected. i have been on a path of a kind and have been following a belief that from east to west, we are all as one, religion while helpful in some cases, mainly makes us fearful. God's plan is simple, we are to unite in Love, c'est la vie!!
rest well
paddypicasso

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home