Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"You're Soaking In It . . ."

Last night, I had a very vivid dream that I was attending a dinner banquet of some sort and was seated next to Madge, the lady from the Palmolive commercials.

Remember her? She was the manicurist who always surprised her clients by dunking their hands in Palmolive dish detergent because, “It softens hands while you do dishes.”





Madge and I were having a wonderful time together at this banquet. We were coming up with hilarious remarks and trying to work in the phrase “You’re soaking in it” as much as we could. I woke up from the dream feeling like I had a new best friend. I wanted to have Madge as my next door neighbor.

I’m sure many of you have grown up seeing Madge in the Palmolive commercials. After all, she appeared in these commercials from 1966 through 1992 – twenty seven years!

Madge’s real name was Jan Miner and she was a Broadway and Off-Broadway actress during the 1960s and 70s. Originally from Boston, she was also a very prolific radio actress during the 40s and 50s.

The lucrative Palmolive commercials enabled her to accept the stage roles she most wanted, including a few Shakespearian roles.

"I'd dip my hands in Palmolive the rest of my life," Miner once said.

Madge left this world in 2004 at the age of 86. I’m sure her hands were soft and beautiful.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:21 PM , Blogger Bob said...

I still utter that line in conversations.
For no reason than to see the looks on people's faces.

 
At 9:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute. I'm curious, however, to learn what you ate before bed last night.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home