Monday, October 20, 2008

Raw Repast

I tried some more of my “raw food” thing this weekend.

I had a combination packet of beans – I think there were about fifteen different kinds of beans in there. I soaked them over night then pureed them with some lime juice, olive oil and macadamia nut butter. It tasted pretty good, so I stuffed it inside a red bell pepper and that’s what I had for lunch on Saturday.

I had had a flu shot the day before, which, they say gives you a touch of the flu. I don’t know what made me feel so badly and gave me so much “intestinal distress”; the raw beans or the touch of the flu, but I was not a happy camper.

So, rather than healing myself, I went out for Ethiopian food on Saturday night. If you’ve never had Ethiopian food, lets just say that it contains just about every spice known to humans. I love Ethiopian food and this place was fantastic, but it was not the most prudent move to make.

The raw beans, the spicy Ethiopian food, combined with a touch of the flu. . . .

You know those over-the-shoulder harnesses that roller coasters have these days?

My toilet could have used one of those.

Not wanting to be beaten by the raw food experiment, I decided to try another raw food recipe on Sunday.

I still had a bunch of bell peppers and a gazillion grape tomatoes, so I decided to go that route. I began slicing the little tomatoes and was going to mix them with diced zucchini, fresh basil, diced carrots and stuff that in a bell pepper. All raw.

Then, I thought, “Aw, the hell with it.”

I had a can of garbanzo beans and tumped that in with the diced veggies along with some pesto and freshly-grated parmesan cheese.

Here’s what it looked like raw. Pretty, huh?


Then, again, I thought, “Aw, the hell with it,” drizzled it with olive oil and shoved the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Holy mother of god, this was good. Especially served over some jasmine rice.

Cooked jasmine rice.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 1:41 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Looks delish. I have often thought about the raw food diet but I just can't give up on carmelized onions.

 
At 7:48 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

It does look good--COOKED! :)

When are you gonna make it for me?? *smiles*

 
At 3:17 AM , Blogger Speck said...

Oh yeah, I'd help you eat the cooked version. That looks mighty fine. However, I have no idea what jasmine rice is.

 
At 10:22 AM , Blogger Barb said...

Oh boy that looks really good and I do love jasmine rice. Hope you are feeling better.

 
At 10:49 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Kimberly: I'm with you. Carmelized anything is good stuff.

MHP: I'll cook for you.

Speck: Jasmine rice is a Thai rice that smells like popcorn when you cook it. Wonderful stuff.

Barb: Someday, we'll share a meal or two.

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

raw food --- nice idea
cooked food --- nice meal

 
At 11:27 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That's my boy. Cook that shit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home