Saturday, March 15, 2008

Such a Sad Paddy's Day in Chicago

Oh, this is, indeed, sad.

I got up yeterday morning for my first time to see the Chicago River be turned green at noon.

The Irish on my mom's side awoke within me to see this event.

We've had such a severe winter here that, I'm afraid, the city officials didn't quite take it among themselves to actually turn the Chicago River very green like promised. . . .

Here is a photo of the sad attempt. I'm afraid this was the highlight.


And here is an tourist boat coming down the river, full of happy tourists from nearby Des Moines and Terre Haute. . .

Oh. It's empty. . .

. . . But here comes another one!
Surely everyone from Racine and Appleton drove down to see the River turn green!

. . . Nope. . . this boat is empty too.



But wait!! Here come another tourist boat!!!



No, it's the first one coming back.

It probably encountered ice floes and polar bears upon entering Lake Michigan just a few blocks downstream.

Yes, folks, we've had quite a severe winter here in the Windy City

So, in honor of the day, I made a big pan of colcannon for lunch
It's good with lots of ketcup. . .

2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM , Blogger sfoofie said...

I blogged about Chicago last year at St Patrick's day... was there even a turnout this year for events? Thanks for the post!

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I still love that view, even if the green river attempt is pathetic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home