Friday, March 14, 2008

The Fifth Third Bank

Ever since I’ve lived in Chicago, I’ve noticed a chain of banks here named “Fifth Third Bank” and have thought, “What a dumb name for a bank.”

We’re used to names like “First National Bank” or “First State Bank.”

But Fifth Third Bank? That’s not even anywhere close to being “First.”

It’s as though it’s the fifth entity of Third National Bank or something. That’s pretty lame. I wouldn’t want to bank there.

It turns out that back in 1908, Fifth National Bank in Cincinnati merged with Third National Bank, thus creating the Fifth Third Bank.

On these bank branches nowadays, their logo the numbers: 5/3

I still don’t think I’d want to bank there.

I just wouldn’t feel comfortable banking at a bank whose name is an improper fraction.

1 Comments:

At 7:39 PM , Blogger sfoofie said...

HEY! My former dept did business with that bank and I always thought it was a dumb name for a bank too! (their email addresses ended in "@53.com" which confused me too) Plus, the bankers we dealt with from there were frazzholes. (frazzled a-hole complainers) Yeah, I wouldn't bank there either.
Spot-on observations!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home