Saturday, December 08, 2007

Dialog with my mom

What can an eldest son say about his mom? Being middle-aged and all, I'm awfully lucky to have parents as young and young-hearted as my mom.

I'm flying home to my little bitty home-town in Texas on December 23rd.
I love flying and and I have to admit that I love flying from Houston to my little-bitty home town, Victoria Texas, south of there.

I've made this connection in Houston-to-Victoria countless times. I'll have to admit that it's always a little iffy-scary type of airplane.

It's always a surprise what type of plane they'll have for us to fly on. One time, it'll be a 32-seat plane and we'll get a Diet Dr. Pepper during the 40 minute flight.

The next time, it'll be a 10-seater balsa-wood -rubber-band type plane and cows will have to scurry off the runway when we land.

You never know. But that's what makes it exciting.

My mom, Bless her Heart, always wants to know how-and-where her sons are doing, so I always give her the courtesy of phoning whenever and wherever I happen to land.

My mom is only 72 years old, still works as a counselor in the public school system, and still has trouble using the "call waiting" button on the phone.

Here's a typical conversation when I fly from
Chicago-via-Houston-to-Victoria, Texas.

Mom - - Mom? Hey, . . it's Buck

I'm on my cell phone

Oka. . . Mom! . . n. . . That's not Call Waiting.. . .

n. . . don't . . .
STOP!!!!

(Click! . . beeeeeeeeeeeeep!)

(Pause .............................)


(doot-doot-doot
doot-doot-doot-
doot-doo-doot-doot)


. . . Mom!. . . It's Buck. . .

No. . I'm still here.

No. . Right. .. When you hear that beep

Yes, . . that's not Call waiting. . .

No. . . Mom!. . . That's 'ca - -

Mom?

Mom?

waiting. . . . . . waiting . . . .

Click! Beeeeeeep!

. . . . . . . .

(doot-doot-doot
doot-doot-doot-
doot-doo-doot-doot)

. . . Click!

. .. . Click! . . No!
. . No!. . . Mom!

It's ME

ME!!!

BUCK!!!!!

YES! I'm still here. .. .

No . . . I'm in Houston. . .

No. .. I don!! . .. No!

Yeah . . no . . I'm in Houston

I'll be there at four-forty .. .

Yeah . . . In Victoria.

. . Yeah . . . Your time. . .

No . . . I'm in Houston. . .

. . . Your time. . .

Yeah . . . .

It's two-twenty.

. . Yes. . In Houston. . .

No. . .

. . .Four-forty!

. . . . Forty!

No . . . . That's fine. . .

No. . . .

wait. . .no. . .

Yeah, . . . Really.

Tuna Casserole. .

It's FINE!!

. . . They're calling my flight now.

. . . Yes, I'm getting on the plane. . .

. . What? . .

. . . What?. . .

No. . . Seat number Seven. . . I think . . . .

Mom. . It's a little plane. . .

. . . I don't know. . .

. . . I'll see you in forty minutes. . . .

. . . Yeah. . .

. . . Tuna Casserole!

. . . Casserole. . . .


. . . I know. . .

. . . Mom?. .

. . No. . .Right. . .

. . . In seat Seven. . .

. . . SEVEN. . .

. . . (Laughing) . . .I remember, . . Budgie what? . . .

. . . (giggling). . Mom, you know. .......

. . . I'll see you in a little bit. . .

. . .mm.hmm. . . I know. . .

. . . I love you too. . .

click.

5 Comments:

At 9:22 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Enjoy that casserole!

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

LOL!

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger Red Seven said...

That was hilarious.

And, you need to buy her a cell phone so you can send a text message!

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Elaine Wheat said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:54 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Eric: I can't even send text messages!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home