Thursday, June 01, 2006

Food in Texas


I love talking about food and I'm already looking forward to my upcoming trip back home to Texas so I can pig out. Say what you will about Texas (I usually do), the food is terrific.

I know Mexican food is popular all over the U.S. now, but "Tex-Mex" is a cuisine all its own. For the most part, Tex-Mex is greasier and spicier, just like many Texans. The Mexican restaurant in my hometown serves chalupas compuestas which is a flat, crispy corn tortilla topped with spicy, shredded pork, longhorn cheese, frijoles, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole and jalapenos. It's incredible.

Here are some other food items that are truly Texan:

Frito Pie: Mix together Fritos Corn Chips, chili con carne, cheddar cheese and onions. Bake in a flat casserole until bubbly. It's even better the next day when it turns into a brick. Just slice it and fry it in butter when you have a hangover.

King Ranch Chicken: Leftover shredded chicken, Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lots of canned green chiles, corn tortillas. Bake it in a flat casserole until bubbly. Ubiquitous at church suppers. It's even better the next day when it turns into a brick. Just slice it and fry it in butter when you have a hangover.

Tamale & Enchilada Casserole: Chop up lots of leftover tamales and enchiladas with chile con carne and cheddar cheese. Bake in a flat casserole until bubbly. It's even better the next day when it turns into a brick. Just slice it and fry it in butter when you have a hangover.

Chicken Fried Steak: Probably nothing else epitomizes Texas like chicken fried steak. Simply batter and fry beef cutlets as you would fried chicken. Then make a roux from the drippin's, add evaporated milk and lots of black pepper to make a white, thick gravy to serve on top. (I like to put ketchup on mine too). Leftover steaks can be chopped up and added to Tamale & Enchilada Casserole. (see above)

Chicken Fried Bacon: No, I'm not kidding. It's usually served at brunch.

Fried Gobbler Testacles: There's a turkey festival every year near my home town and they serve these delicacies. I've yet to try them. Their football mascot is the Gobbler. My sister went to high school there, was a cheerleader; a Gobblerette. I kid you not.

Barbecued Armadillos Armadillos are everywhere in Texas, mainly festooned on Texas Highways since they're pretty blind and can't run very fast. Occasionally, they wind up on the grill pit especially if lots of beer has previously been consumed.

3 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...armadillos sound tasty....

Yeah, right!--yuck! :)

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Nothin' I like better than a good ol' casserole that sets up like a brick. I am totally serious. What y'all call King Ranch Chicken? Totally made something like that the other night. If I didn't have to worry about fitting into my clothes I would eat like that every night.

Armadillo. Tastes like chicken.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger MomsG said...

This made laugh as I sit here in Fort Worth trying to find something to do with my leftover tamales. I now know I can make that casserole let it situp and then fry in butter. Oh boy my heart thanks you. Thank you for the laugh this morning.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home